Monday 10 August 2009

the shell

I came across this poem, written by Amy Carmichael. It was written decades ago, but is as timely-as-ever today.

Upon the sandy shore an empty shell,
Beyond the shell infinity of sea;
O Saviour, I am like that empty shell,
Thou art the Sea to me.


A sweeping wave rides up the shore, and lo,
Each dim recess the coiled shell within
Is searched, is filled, is filled to overflow
By water crystalline.

Not to the shell is any glory then:
All glory give we to the glorious sea.
And not to me is any glory when
Thou overflowest me.

Sweep over me, Thy shell, as low I lie;
I yield me to the purpose of Thy will,
Sweep up, O conquering waves, and purify
And with Thy fullness fill.


Amen, and amen!

2 comments:

  1. I Came across this poem while I was in INDIA!!! It was in Peter and Heather's Library! :D Good poem!!!

    ReplyDelete