Wednesday 13 May 2009

summer so far

I think I’m addicted to Honey Bunches of Oats, the cereal. I went to bed last night, hoping that morning would come quickly, because morning means cereal!!

How glad I am that these summer days have arrived.

Summer is wonderful for many reasons. Sunshine and music. Time with my family. Walks around the neighbourhood. Beautiful nights and no homework to stop me from enjoying them. Cups of tea and writing letters. But most of all, I love it for the freedom. The freedom to read and write whatever. The freedom to go to the library and pick up any book that fits my fancy. The freedom to study Spanish. You get to do certain things that you had to put on hold during the school year.

Oh this summer is going to be wonderful. A lot to enjoy. A lot to accomplish.

So far, I’ve enjoyed a visit from an amiga. I brought her to my most favourite place in all of Orange … the Orange Circle. It’s where I bring everybody who comes to visit. So if you’re ever around, phone me, we’ll go. Anyways, it’s one of the biggest antique malls in America and is home to my favourite diner. The Filling Station. It’s a converted gas station, where cars used to go to fill up. Now people go. Banana pancakes, fresh fruit, Spanish omelet … coming right up. oh yes.

Anyways, as always it is a good time catching up with a friend. And catch up we did, over cups of tea and a nice long walk. Not to mention, we watched I Am Sam, probably one of the best movies ever made. It never gets old. I love it more every time.

We just moved into this house about a month and a half ago, and so, as you can imagine, there is plenty to do. And because flowers always help make a house a home, mum and me spent nearly the entire afternoon in the garden yesterday and today. I still have soil in my fingernails to prove it. Weeding, watering, planting. We did it all. And I must say, although pulling out weeds isn’t exactly the most amusing thing in the world, it is quite satisfying when you get a deep root out; actually it becomes a sort of game to find the longest root.

Tonight I went to the meeting at my church. We learned from Jesus’ example on how to pray. We looked at the Lord’s Prayer. Point in brief: ‘For prayers to get to heaven, they must start in heaven.’ In other words, prayer is about His glory, as is everything. It is His will be done. It is His name and fame taking preeminence. It is us surrendering to His pleasure and perfect purposes. And in doing so, it is all well with our souls.

Summer... so far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment