Saturday 13 June 2009

stupid little me

I wrote this a while ago and just came across it the other day.

"The other evening I was riding home after a heavy day's work. I felt very wearied, and sore depressed, when swiftly, and suddenly as a lightning flash, that text came to me, "My grace is sufficient for thee." I reached home and looked it up in the original, and at last it came to me in this way, "MY grace is sufficient for thee"; and I said, "I should think it is, Lord," and burst out laughing. I never fully understood what the holy laughter of Abraham was until then.

It seemed to make unbelief so absurd.

It was as though some little fish, being very thirsty, was troubled about drinking the river dry, and Father Thames said, "Drink away, little fish, my stream is sufficient for thee." Or, it seemed after the seven years of plenty, a mouse feared it might die of famine; and Joseph might say, "Cheer up, little mouse, my granaries are sufficient for thee." Again, I imagined a man away up yonder, in a lofty mountain, saying to himself, "I breathe so many cubic feet of air every year, I fear I shall exhaust the oxygen in the atmosphere," but the earth might say, "Breathe away, O man, and fill the lungs ever, my atmosphere is sufficient for thee." Oh, brethren, be great believers! Little faith will bring your souls to Heaven, but great faith will bring Heaven to your souls." --C. H. Spurgeon

........
I find myself at times, thinking and living like that little fish, that little mouse, and that man. drowning, starving, suffocating, all because I fail to believe, to trust, to rest .... in Him.

May it not be so when I consider His grandeur, vastness, depth, breadth, and width, His love, provision, and mercy.

A God, so high, so strong, so loving, so lovely - what have I to fear? What have I to want?
I never have, never do, and never will lack, because of Him.

His grace has brought me hitherto, helps me now, and will always continue. The times when I fret, are the times I have forgotten.



His grace is sufficient, and that is the story of my life.

God grant me a better memory.
........

1 comment:

  1. Horner is always saying that the Greek word for "truth" actually means "to not forget". I think he's right. God is always reminding the children of Israel while they're wandering through the desert ("I am the Lord your GOD, who brought you out of Egypt") of the great and wonderful things that He had done for them. It is when they forget His nature, His works that they disobey His commandments and stray away from His perfect promises.

    I think that sometimes it is important to build altars in our deserts. So that we can come back to them during our various wanderings, and say, "This is how far we've come. This is where we're going. This is what has been done for us. This is what the Lord has done. Blessed be the name of the Lord."

    Thank you for sharing your heart, Angela.

    ReplyDelete