Saturday 24 April 2010

stop supposin'

It's funny how it's the little stories that are most helpful, most of the time. It's the simple stories that contain the most profound advice. And it's ordinary people, just like you and me, that God uses in great ways. For me, the anonymous woman of this story, who was just an ordinary woman of her time, has blessed me in extraordinary ways at this time; and she doesn't even know it. Praise the Lord for how He is using her legacy to teach me to trust Him now.

I once met a poor woman, who earned a precarious living by hard daily labour; but who was a joyous triumphant Christian. "Ah, Nancy," said a gloomy Christian lady to her one day, "It is well enough to be happy now; but I should think the thoughts of your future would sober you. Only suppose, for instance, you should have a spell of sickness, and be unable to work; or suppose your present employers should move away, and no one else should give you anything to do; or suppose...”
“Stop!!” cried Nancy, “I never supposes. De Lord is my Shepherd, and I knows I shall not want. And, Honey,” she added to her gloomy friend, “It’s all dem supposes as is makin’ you so miserable. You’d better give dem all up, and just trust de Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment